Since QuickTime files (.mov) are supported by ProPresenter on both Mac and Windows we suggest encoding all of your videos this way for the best playback in either version. There are several programs you can use to convert files, but one of the easiest to use is a free, cross-platform program, called MPEG Streamclip. (Click here to download MPEG Streamclip.)
Installing and converting via MPEG Streamclip
Installing MPEG Streamclip is easy on either platform. Once you have downloaded the program and extracted it, just drag the program to your computer. The program is self-contained so there is no installer for it. Once you have the program in your Applications or Program Files folder, launch the program. The screenshots below are from the Windows version, so there are some slight variations from the Mac version, but for the purposes of this article, everything is identical.
To begin, click on File > Open Files. Browse to the file you need to convert. (MPEG Streamclip also supports batch conversion which is covered below.) This will load your video into the player. Click on File > Export to QuickTime to open the export settings menu.
For most users we recommend using H.264 at 75% quality without scaling your video. The screenshot below shows these settings. You will need to click on the first dropdown menu to select the H.264 compression setting. Drag the slider from 50% quality to 75% quality and make sure you check the "(unscaled)" option for Frame Size.
MPEG Streamclip also supports batch conversion. This is useful if you are converting a number of files and would rather convert them all at once rather than one at a time.
- Click on List > Batch List from the menu bar.
- Click on the Add Files... button in the lower-right corner.
- Select the files you want to convert and click Open (PC) or To Batch (Mac) to add them to the batch list.
- Select Export to QuickTime from the menu under Please choose a task. You do not need to check any of the other options.
- Select the folder you want to save the converted files to.
- Follow the steps for single file conversion above to select the export settings.
- Click To Batch and then Go to start converting the files.